Popular Posts

Friday, July 15, 2011

LOVE BIRDS: BEYOND DEATH: EXCERPT FROM CHAPTER NINE-LIFE IN COLLEGE

       It was a warm summer afternoon, and the cool breezes rushed through the Pine trees arranged in rows along the sidewalk, producing a whistling sound, as they swayed from right to left. Squirrels kept jumping from tree to tree eating fruits from tree branches strong enough to carry their medium sized bodies. Henry and Naomi were standing in the shade of one of those pine trees, when Carlton walked up in a swagger.
          “What’s up Naomi? May I have a word with you?” he said ignoring Henry’s presence.
          “Carlton haven’t you got any manners. Can’t you see I’m with a friend?” Naomi asked squinting as though the breezes sipped through her eyes.
          “Your friend-boy uh? I see. What’s up . . . what’s his name again?” he said as if trying to recall Henry’s name.
          “Oh never mind. Who cares about his name?” Carlton said scornfully, while Henry maintained his calm.
          “Do you mind if I have a minute, or two, or three, or the whole day with your friend—girl?” he asked laughing as he patted Henry’s back, but Henry seemed indifferent.
          “That’s it Carlton!You have gone too far. Please leave now! I am not speaking with you!” Naomi said.
          “No—no Naomi it’s okay. I’m cool with it,” Henry said attempting to leave.
          “You can go ahead and have a chat. I’ll be in my room when you are done. See you around buddy,” Henry said patting Carlton’s back as he left. Carlton quickly dusted off his neatly ironed check shirt as though Henry’s hand left dirt on it.
          “I’m not your buddy man,” he muttered.
          “You see Naomi; shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and . . .” Carlton was rudely interrupted by Naomi as he tried quoting one of Shakespeare’s sonnets.
          “See Carlton just spare me those poetic jargon of yours. I haven’t got all day please. Just say what you want to say and leave!’’
         “Naomi what I mean is I love you so much and would want you to be my . . .” Carlton was abruptly interrupted again.
         “Hello, have I been speaking to the winds this whole time? Henry is my boy friend!” she said in monosyllables, stretching the friend like the tail of the little squirrel that just ran past, and then walked away.
         “Well, fine!Go!But just so you know, Carlton Geoffrey will always get what Carlton Geoffrey wants,” he said laughing mischievously as he bounced down the sidewalk to join a group of boys in front of the arts department.
     TO BE CONTINUED...
Love Birds: Beyond Death, now available at the following retail outlets:
www.iuniverse.com: http://www.iuniverse.com/Bookstore/BookSearchResults.aspx?Search=love%20birds:%20beyond%20death
www.amazon.comhttp://www.amazon.com/Love-Birds-Lysious-James-Ogolo/dp/1462016677/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310793551&sr=1-1
 www.barnesandnoble.com: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/love-birds-beyond-death?store=book
Chapters.indigo.cahttp://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/search/?keywords=love%20birds%20beyond%20death&pageSize=12
www.AbeBooks.com: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=lysious&sts=t&tn=love+birds%3A+beyond+death&x=42&y=11
www.alibris.com: http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=love+birds+beyond+death&mtype=B&hs.x=20&hs.y=10

No comments:

Post a Comment