Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

TO BE FREE

She wanted to come home when she pleased,
Go out with whomever she likes,
Get her groove on whenever she wanted,
She wanted to do whatever she wanted, without scruples,
As far as she was concerned that was what it meant to be free,

He wanted to be the ladies man,
The hustler, the party-rider, the "it" guy,
He wanted to smoke that and this and see what it felt like,
He wanted to drink that and this and know what it tasted like,
He wanted to be able to have someone different, every night, to keep him warm,
As long as he was concerned that was what it meant to be free,

Fast-forward, a couple of years later,
She can't get her life together; every man on the block knows the color of her sheets,
She is all over the place, her life is all over the place,
She now needs rehab to get out of that which she called "being free, living my life,"
Now he can no longer control his urges,
He is addicted to the bottle, inseparable from the pipes, acquainted with the grasses,
The therapist has become his very close friend,
But he was just living his life, being free,
So I ask, is this what being free means?
Is this what living my life really entails?
If the freedom of the world will lead me to a life which I struggle to get out off,
I rather be a slave to Jesus Christ, doing His will alone, 'cause therein lies true freedom,
I guess all I'm saying is, let us really examine what we call freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment