Popular Posts

Saturday, September 10, 2011

LORD, PLEASE HELP ME!

Sometimes I let my flesh rule me,
I get caught up in the rat race of this world,
The urge to keep up with societal trends,
Often eats me up, often places me in a state of unnecessary anxiety and dejection,
Then I begin to pray amiss, seeking the vanities of this life, asking you for material abundance,
In the midst of my insatiable desire for that which I have erroneously accepted as important,
I forget about the most important gift of all-the gift of your son and salvation,
Then I'm awakened to my sins, to my weaknesses, to my faults, and my cracks,
I fall to my knees, knowing that I have no where else to go,
And all I can say is Lord, please help me!

Father, it's my again, your son, calling upon you this morning,
Sometimes I find myself going against your word,
Lusting after the desires of the flesh,
There seems to be a constant struggle within me, it's like a battle field,
I know that you love me, and I love you too,
I also know that I have accepted you as lord and savior,
But when I fall, I can't help but question my Christianity and my faith,
Why I still lie, cheat and covet; why I still desire the same things that I preach against,
Trying to fit into the world, trying to please man and the society, trying to be accepted of men,
Forgetting that the only acceptance, the only approval I need, is yours;
Forgetting also that at the end of my journey here, no one-not the world, not the society,
But you alone will judge me, 
And with each passing day, I realize more and more that I can't run this race without your grace,
So when I'm at my wits end, when my flesh begins to fail and falter,
I fall on my knees, bow my head in my unworthiness and cry out,
Lord, please help me!

For after all is said and done lord, my ultimate goal and desire is to sit at your right hand, 
To hear you say, "well done my son,"; so lord because there is just so much going on in my world,
In which I am constantly and daily tried, tempted and tested, I'm asking you to please, help me,
Help me to make it to heaven, to finish my race, to wear that crown you promised,
Help me to see your face in glory when you shall appear to take us home,
Lord, please help me to be a better son, a better Christian, and a better me, to be just what you want me to be, 
Help me to love you with all my heart, to chase, yearn, pant and long after you and you alone,
For with each passing day, the vanity, emptiness and worthlessness of this life stares me in the face in its stark reality,
So with each break of dawn, each rising of the sun and each going down of the sun,
I'll go on my knees and say, "Lord, please help me, 'cause I cannot make it alone,"
And after each prayer, I can leave with the assurance of my prayers being answered.
'Cause you have never ignored those who cry out to you from a pure heart. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment