Popular Posts

Thursday, September 22, 2011

WHERE DO YOU STAND?

In his 2009 album, the Blueprint 3, American rapper Jay Z on the song Forever Young ft Mr. Hudson, was quoted as saying, "Slamming Bentley doors, hopping out of Porsches, popping out on Forbes' list..." Also, in the song Can't Shut Us Down by Cross Movement's Christian rapper, Sho Baraka featuring Lecrae, Lecrae was heard saying, "I'll do this till the day I take my last breath..." In case you are wondering and asking, why this comparison? Well, today as I reflected on a couple of things, prompted by what I had seen online about a very popular pop artist's open declaration of her beliefs, the question that came to my heart was, WHERE DO YOU STAND? Folks, we live in a world with a variety of belief systems, we are constantly bombarded by different notions and people's perspectives and views on life. And truth is, in the midst of all these, it is easy to lose grip on what your beliefs are, and on where you stand and why. This is one of the problems with our generation: most of us no longer have a mind of our own, we are becoming more like clones, accepting and believing whatever we hear on the radio or CD or see on the T.V.

Furthermore, back to my references earlier. Now I know that Jay Z has been criticized by many for so many reasons. Lecrae himself regardless of the fact that he is a Christian artist, has been recently criticized by some for some reasons. But one thing that I see in both artists, at least from their public declarations, is that they are sure of what they believe, whether you agree with them or not. In this world, some are clear on what they believe, what they want, and where they stand. For them it's all about fame, fast money, fast cars, fast life, girls, glamor, flash and cash. For many others it is God, Christ, righteousness, holiness, salvation and making it to heaven while taking others with them. One group lives for themselves but the other group lives for God. But what bothers me is the others who don't even know where they stand. They are neither hot nor cold, they are just in between; accepting, believing and rolling with everything that comes their way. That's what bothers me the most. Because at the end of this life, when we all stand before God, it's not going be a question of what your favorite artist believed, or even what your pastor, mother, father or anyone else you love believed, but what you believed. So I end with this question, WHERE DO YOU STAND?
Remember these quotes, "we shall all give account of our lives" and "the world only follows a man who knows where he is going."
I'd like to hear from you. Share with me some of your very core beliefs in life and why you have these beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment